- Iwona Kalewska
Overview of the collections
The Institute of Musicology Library collects books on the subject of musicology (history of musical culture, theoretical and analytical works) as well as on musicology related fields - altogether over 15,000 titles. The collection contains also musicology magazines (Polish and international) and musical prints indispensable for educational and scientific purposes (over 16,000 items). The Library also offers (for the local use only) a part of musical prints collection of the former Church Music Institute (Instytut Muzyki Kościelnej) in Wrocław handed over in a deposit by the Musical Collection Office of the University of Warsaw Library (Gabinet Zbiorów Muzycznych BUW).
An independent part of the collection of the Institute of Musicology is the Audio Library containing classical music records: over 2,000 CDs, 5,000 LPs, as well as ethnographic music: about 400 titles. Since recently in the Audio Library there have also been collected popular music records as well as DVDs containing operas, ballets and musical films.
The Library is available for the staff and students of the Institute of Musicology only. Users are allowed to borrow up to 10 items for a period not longer than one month. People from outside the Institute who are interested in using our collections have access to a reference library, the collections present in the storage room are made available on the spot within the opening hours of the Library.
The reading room of the Institute offers 12 seats for readers and 2 listening stations for CDs and DVDs. The audio records are available on the spot only.
The Library and Audio Library offer the following catalogues:
- alphabetical catalogues: books, musical prints, magazines, master's thesis and PhD dissertations, digital and analogue records, and reference library, including books and musical prints.
- subject catalogues: books and musical prints (work in progress), and compact discs (work in progress).
- digital catalogue of books (about 13,000 items, including the entire reference library), musical prints (mostly "Neue Bach Ausgabe" and "Corpus Mensurabilis Musicae" from the reference library), and CDs (over 800 items).
Entry to the on-line catalogues of the University of Warsaw
Entry to the union catalogue of Polish research and academic libraries NUKAT
In the Library there are also 3 computer desks available with the Internet access and an extensive offer of electronic magazines and databases subscribed by the University of Warsaw.
We would also like to inform through the University of Warsaw Library website there are available on-line versions of current issues of magazines published by Oxford Journals
- Early Music
- Journal of the Royal Musical Association
- Music and Letters
- The Musical Quarterly
- The Opera Quarterly
Naxos Music Library in the Institute of Musicology
We have the pleasure to inform that the Institute of Musicology Library maintains subscription of an extremely valuable and extensive database of sound files - Naxos Music Library. Until 30 September 2011 we can listen to the collections of the digital library containing over 740,000 tracks originating from over over 51,000 CDs (and every month there are about 1,000 new tracks) published by such companies as Naxos & Marco Polo, Alpha, Ancalagon, ATMA Classique, Auvidis, BIS, Capriccio, CBC, CD Accord (Polish record label!), Challenge Classics, Chandos, Col legno, Composers' Art Label, CPO, First Edition, Gimell, Haenssler Classic, Hungaroton, Kairos, Naive, Nimbus, Opera Rara, Opus 111, Opus Arte, PentaTone, Wergo, and many more.
There are also available written information deriving from CD booklets, comments, and texts and summaries of librettos. The database is available from the computers of the Institute and the Musical Collection Office of the University of Warsaw Library.
- NML address: http://warsawuni.naxosmusiclibrary.com
- Recommended browser: Mozilla Firefox and player: Adobe Flash Player 10
- Pop-up windows must be enabled in the browser's settings - the application opens audio files in a new window
- After using the database the user must log out. It is very important since the system allows connections from only 5 simultaneous users.
- All records are protected by the copyright law. No means of copying are allowed.
YOU ARE MOST WARMLY INVITED TO USE THE NAXOS MUSIC LIBRARY. IT IS A VALUABLE SUPPLEMENT TO OUR RECORD COLLECTIONS.